We need a little help staying healthy in the cold, winter months. Here are some tips to help you enjoy winter without having to worry about falling sick all the time.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. A healthy diet is the key to a strong immune system which can ward off disease causing germs.
- Exercise. Studies show that physical exercise keeps the immune system strong and efficient.
- Wash hands often. We know this all too well now, thanks to Covid ;).
- Sleep. At least 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep is absolutely essential to a properly functioning immune system.
- Drink water. While we remember to drink lots of water in the hot summer months, it’s easy to overlook the importance of hydrating oneself in winter. Water keeps the cells hydrated and functioning effectively.
- Reduce stress. Stress suppresses the immune system.
- Supplement with vitamin D. People often get deficient in vitamin D in the cold, winter months. Depending on where you live, it’s a good idea to supplement with the sunshine vitamin especially in winter. Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to many illnesses including cold and flu.