Whole grain Veggie Pizza
Yes, pizza can be healthy too! This yummy pizza is full of fibre (and flavour) and rich in antioxidants, and super simple to make. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare, and under 10 minutes to bake.
Curious to know how this pizza is so healthy?
Firstly, it’s made of a whole grain pizza base. Whole grains are full of fibre and nutrients and are slow to be digested so do not cause a sudden spike in blood sugar levels. Due to their high fibre content, whole grains provide satiety and help you feel full longer. No pizza base? No problem. You can use whole grain pita bread as well.
Need I say anything about the veggies? Bell peppers are chock full of vitamins C, A, E, B6, K, and potassium and antioxidants such as lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin and carotenes. Mushrooms are also rich in potassium, copper, selenium and fibre. The optional turmeric, peppercorn, onions and dried oregano add a host of other antioxidants, and the 150 grams of cheese (which is very little, by the way), adds flavour without adding too many calories. Swap it with vegan cheese if you’re dairy free.
Let’s get started 🙂
What you’ll need:
- Whole grain pizza base (or whole grain pita bread, 2 tbsp. tomato sauce or puree)
- 2 cups button mushrooms, diced
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning (or any spices of choice)
- Salt to taste*
- 150 grams grated mozzarella cheese
- Optional extras to increase the antioxidant value – 1 tbsp. peppercorn (or ground pepper), 1 teaspoon turmeric, half an onion, thinly sliced, 1 tbsp. dried oregano leaves
*be mindful of the spices you use, as they may sometimes contain salt, in which case you may not need to add salt.
Let’s get cooking:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- In a pan, heat the oil and sauté the mushrooms and peppercorns.
- Add the turmeric and Cajun.
- Add the diced bell peppers at the end (to retain their crunch).
- Turn off heat and set aside.
- Spread the tomato sauce provided with pizza base (or add your own if using pita bread)
- Add sautéed mushrooms and bell peppers
- Sprinkle more seasoning if desired
- Add the grated mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (6 minutes if using pita bread).